30 Apr 2013

A - Z Challenge - Z



Zizania. Zest (enthusiasm).

Origination in America, the ornamental zinnia, with its colorful, long-lasting flower-heads, is grown in English gardens and in no way resembles the exotic zizania, which I'm featuring today.

Wild rice, also called Canada rice, Indian rice, and water oats, are four species of grasses forming the genus Zizania, and the grain which can be harvested from them. The grain was historically gathered and eaten in both North America and China. While it is now a delicacy in North America, the grain is eaten less in China, where Zizania's stem is used as a vegetable. Not directly related to Asian Wild rice, the grains have a chewy outer sheath with a tender inner grain that has a slightly vegetal taste. The plants grow in shallow water in small lakes and slow-flowing streams. Often, only the flowering head of wild rice rises above the water.
Some people would see the water as a hazard and the flowering head as a weed. With their bad attitude to life, pessimists radiate gloom. 

As an optimist, I prefer to see the wonderful detail in everything I encounter and reflect my zest for life to those around me. I expect a favorable side of events or conditions and the best outcome. I believe that good  ultimately predominates over evil in the world and that positive thoughts affect reality.

What a wonderful topic to finish the A - Z challenge with: Zest.


Proverb: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

23 comments:

  1. I've loved seeing all the flowers and the explanations that went with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen one of these...I'm like you in the way I see life. I don't know if my positive thoughts affect the world's reality, but they definitely affect my own.

    You commented on me printing out my posts...I'm going to bind them into a book. I do it through a website called Blog to Print. They do a great job and it's easy. I periodically bind my blog, but will bind the A-Z separately for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this information about printing a blog. I'll look into that.

      Delete
  3. I love grasses and this one looks particularly beautiful. I wish I could believe you when you say that good predominates over evil. It doesn't always. Sadly there is too much evil and pain in the world,
    Congrats on finishing the A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about evil in the world. As long as we keep a positive attitude, we'll hold it at bay.

      Delete
  4. I've eaten Canadian Wild Rice, it's delicious and I think it has a nutty flavor. I used to make a casserole for a vegetarian relative which used wild rice, cheese, mushrooms and onions.

    I've enjoyed reading your posts, Francene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to taste that. I've only eaten one from a supermarket packet. Delicious.

      Delete
  5. Yes, Francene that is a wonderful topic to complete the A-Z Challenge! Hope you enjoyed it! I did! I would very much like to come back and visit your blog! Nice to meet you and I agree with your sentiment regarding love and being positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is the most powerful emotion in the world.

      Delete
  6. Francene, well we've come to an end with Zinnia! Lovely post thank you and I've so enjoyed this journey with you. Thank you for lovely and informative posts always with such a lovely proverb.
    all best,
    Susan


    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, wild rice! I will be enjoying some very soon on vacation to Minnesota--the land of rice and blueberries! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So VERY true, that this was a great way to end the A to Z challenge! Very interesting too! Glad you stopped by my blog and left a comment, thank you! Now I can go back through your blog and see all that I missed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Which I didn't realize I had, missed I mean. Sorry I didn't come by sooner as I am already following you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've probably eaten it then and didn't know it, as I like a lot of rice dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zowie - you made it the month in fine form.
    Very enjoyable a-z. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rice is a personal favorite, so I appreciate the lesson in the different species, not only that but I love your positive attitude.

    I enjoyed your writing this A-Z, congrats on finishing. Thanks for your visits and your very kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another beautiful photo, Francene. We survived another challenge! I've enjoyed your pictures very much this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think we agree. Zest is definitely the secret ingredient to a good life. Yours was one of the most interesting themes I came across on the A to Z, congrats on finishing it in style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you, Francene. I like to see the detail.
    I nominated you for the Liebster blog award. Here are the details: http://silviatomasvillalobos.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/liebster-blog-award/
    If you can't accept (I know time is hard to find these days), no problem ... love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy end of A-Z! Lovely words and pictures- and a new food to try! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what YOU think.